Monday, July 23, 2012

Jesus Loves Me


This morning, I read from John's Revelation and one little verse stuck out to me. Revelation 3:9 says, "I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars — I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you."

What a curious and wonderful thing to be acknowledged for! God doesn't promise that in the last days our enemies will fall at our feet and acknowledge that we were right. Or that we were better. Or even that our God was the true god. They will fall at our feet and acknowledge that God loved us. 

There is dignity and security in that. 

At one of the hardest times in our marriage, I remember that a similar message comforted my wife. She read and memorized verses like Jeremiah 31:3

"I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness."

and Jeremiah 31:4,

"I will build you up again and you will be rebuilt, O Virgin Israel. Again you will take up your tambourines and dance with the joyful." 

It was comforting and healing for her to be reminded that she is dearly loved. In fact, what else could bring more peace, confidence or joy than to be loved and pursued by your King? 

That reminds me of Jesus' warning in Luke 10 when he told his disciples not to get too worked up about ministry success, but to rejoice only in being beloved. 

"However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."
— Luke 10:20

It doesn't matter how many people read your blog, or how few. It doesn't matter whether life is marked by success or failure. It doesn't matter whether you have all the right answers, or jump through all the right religious hoops. What matters is that you are loved beyond words. As usual, we can learn from the beauty and simplicity of our children. 
Jesus loves me, this I know,For the Bible tells me so.Little ones to him belong.They are weak, but he is strong.Yes, Jesus loves me.The Bible tells me so.

No comments: