Monday, March 05, 2007

Churning It Out

Since the day I graduated from college, the one thing that I have prayed most often for is productivity. I pray to bear fruit. I pray for a productive day at work, a productive week, a productive career. I pray for help in getting things done, reaching goals, achieving, clearing to-do lists. I pray for ministries to be productive and efficient in their benevolence and proclamation. I pray for our kids to learn things, reach milestones, become more self-sufficient and productive.

More importantly, I feel less valuable and more frustrated with life when I’m not productive. If I can stay on top of work assignments, working out, ministry, family time, etc. then I feel like I’m doing what the Lord wants. I’m producing. I’m getting things done. But when interruptions, setbacks or delays occur, it frustrates me.

This morning could not have been less productive. I got zero done. I gave up and went to a park with the kids. Even that didn’t count as “checking off” quality time from my list since the kids didn’t have that great a time and Zach barfed while riding on my shoulders (yeah – get that picture in your head.)

I guess my point is, I wonder if I’m too worried about getting things done. Life isn’t an assembly line.

No comments: