Monday, July 03, 2006

Instruments of Righteousness

I have come to have a very gnostic view of the flesh, and a verse in Romans that I read this morning is making me rethink that. I always think of my flesh as bad. Its desires seem to have no use in the kingdom. They only sustain life so that I can use my heart and mind for the kingdom. Obviously, my hands and feet - those parts of me that can do labor - can be useful. But my stomach? My libido? Sleepiness? Wouldn't I be such a better Christian if I had no need for food or sleep or sex?

Romans says no.


Therefore, do not let sin exercise dominion in your mortal bodies, to make
you obey their passions. No longer present your members to sin as instruments of
wickedness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from
death to life, and present your members to God as instruments of righteousness.
For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under
grace.

Romans 6:12-14

"Present your members to God as instruments of righteousness." Not to get too graphic here, but I think that means every part of me - every hormone and hunger and hair - can be an "instrument of righteousness."

No comments: