Monday, July 31, 2006

Satirical Soliloquy

I've just discovered satire and it's a romp! Here's my intellectual confession - I've never read any satire...any. It has always just seemed out-of-reach for me, something I wouldn't really relate to and therefore not appreciate. But last week I picked up No Way To Treat a First Lady by Christopher Buckley only because Buckley wrote a guidebook on Washington, D.C. that I enjoyed during my trip there last month (Washington Schlepped Here: Walking in the Nation's Capital). It's a riot in a very reserved, tongue-in-cheek way. Sort of a quiet riot, I guess. Anyway, Buckley has opened my eyes to satire. Does this mean I'm going to start reading The New Yorker and shopping at Highland Park Village? I kinda doubt it. But I might buy a smoking jacket.

No comments: