Friday, April 21, 2006

Early Football Rant

I hate to be the out-of-touch sports fan. I know "it's a business" and all. (How many times do we have to hear that?) But I am so not looking forward to hearing about T.O. all season. It gives me tired head to even think about it. We're four months away from the season and he's already causing trouble - refusing to show up for practices.

I know all the arguments - that he's a "special" player and that when you have a "special" player like T.O. you have to deal with his "special-ness". And that's all right. And the Cowboys will win more games with T.O. than without him. And if we really want to win another Super Bowl, we've got to deal with prima donnas. And since it is a business, then winning IS everything. I can swallow all that as much as it irks me. But I have another option - a radical idea that I learned from my parents and high school coaches.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if we decided to be the NFL team who refused to make "special" concessions for "special" players. I mean we should still pay them ridiculous amounts of money. I'm not saying T.O. should get the same salary as Andre Gurode. I'm just saying imagine what would happen if, instead of signing T.O. and making excuses for him, Jerry made this announcement:
"The Dallas Cowboys won't be signing Terrell Owens. We interviewed Terrell. Had him in for a workout. And discussed the culture of the Dallas Cowboys and we, as an organization, have decided that Terrell doesn't fit the mold of the disciplined, selfless, hard-working player with which we intend to build our team."
Imagine what that would do for team morale! Imagine what it would do for your fan base! I know. I know. The fans will come if you're winning. But you can develop a culture around the organization that has a clear identity and mission, they'll come even if you're not winning (see Green Bay, Kansas City, et al). I know it's the grandpa way to look at the NFL, but what would be wrong with refusing to sign the guy who stood on your star. For me, it would mean one less Cowboy that I'm wishing failure on this year.

No comments: