Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Game 7...OT...In-State Rivals....What Could Be Better?

In the annuls of NBA history, last night will rank among the most memorable.
  • Only one other team has ever won a Game 7, on the road, in overtime.
  • Before last night, the Mavericks had never beaten the Spurs in a playoff series.
  • Only 15 percent of Game 7s in NBA history have been won by the visiting team.
A few observations about the Spurs:
  • I was thrilled to see Manu Ginobili make the bone-headed move to cost SA the game. The only thing that Pop said in the huddle before that play that tied it at 104 was "don't foul." Manu hit the big 3 to take the lead but then he committed that foul. The only way that could have been sweeter is if Tony Parker had been the screw-up.
  • I really feel sorry for Michael Finley. Let's remember, he is not the one who decided to leave Dallas. He also didn't ask to get punched in the crotch. He's always been a class act and, even though his new teammates have rubbed off on him a little, he whines less than most other Spurs. As a fan that watched Fin in the "green jersey years" when he was the only bright spot, I feel sorry for him that he went to play for the world champions and now gets beaten by his old team. Fin, I'll continue to wear your jersey with pride. (wiping away a tear....)
  • I don't feel so sorry for Duncan. And I have a prediction: Looking back on his career in a few years, Duncan will realize that he never won an NBA title without David Robinson. With the Admiral gone and the Little General on the other bench, Timmy couldn't keep his boat afloat. (Yes, I wrote that.)

A few observations about the Mavs:
  • Do free throws get any more clutch than the one Dirk hit to send it to overtime? Fire for brains, man. Fire for brains!
  • I loves me some DeSegana "You're-not-se-gonna-back-me-down-Timmy" Diop. Everybody say "Diop! Diop!" (Also, Diop is hard to type.)
A family affair:
  • All four members of my family were dressed for battle last night: I wore the Finley away jersey. Christine wore the Nash home jersey (yes, we specialize in jerseys of former Mavs). Bethany wore her Mavs cheerleader outfit. And Zach donned the Mavs onsie. It was fun but, in the light of day, I wonder if it was good family bonding or just pathetic. (Also, of the four outfits, I beleive Zach managed to spit up on three.)

No comments: