Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day Quick Hits

Believe it or not, shuttling between the greenside luxury villa and the snack-ridden, air-conditioned, plasma-screen-equipped media room at the EDS Byron Nelson Championship all week has worn me out. I know it's not ditch-digging but it's numbing. Plus, I had to spend a tremendous amount of emotional energy getting the Mavs a win last night. So here is some scattershooting from my weary sports brain this morning.

Mavs stole that one last night. I don't want to say we shouldn't have won (yes, I said "we") but we got some favorable calls at the right times.






Last night makes two games this series in which Jerry Stackhouse has committed serious brain-farts. I liked his attitude after the first flub and forgave him for it. If this one had cost us the game, I shall have been very put-out.

According to independent research, Terry Bradshaw is the most influential sportscaster in the U.S. This is an unsettling commentary on our culture.

Trevor Immelman opted for the all-white uniform during yesterday's third round at the Nelson. A bold young man.





The Dallas Morning News' Matt Mosely does a way better job of scattershooting than I do. Read his column here.

There's a Red Pant in the media room that looks just like President Gerald Ford. Also, Gerald Ford Stadium at SMU is not named for the former president.

Nelson staff announced late yesterday that tee times today would be delayed until 9:30 and players would go off on 1 and 10 in threesomes. I had breakfast on my patio this morning. Partly cloudy and mid-70s. Betcha they wish they had that one back.

Today's final pairing will be Immelman, Adam Scott, and Brett Wetterich...who?

Two of the three have funny accents.

A South African accent is harder to immitate than British or Australian, in my opinion.

I offered the great Chris Yates $10 if he would call Adam Scott "mate" during his post-round interview. I've got a feeling he might have done it but he's going to have to prove it with video to get the coin.







Speaking of accents, there's this: Somewhere during the second quarter of last night's game, I realized that at some point, we could have had Devin Harris (Wisconsin) guarding Michael Finley (Wisconsin); Josh Howard (Wake Forest) guarding Tim Duncan (Wake Forest); and Tony Parker (Europe) guarding Dirk Nowitzki (Europe). Coincidence?

No comments: