Monday, June 12, 2006

Hallelujah!

Because God is good, he sent a messenger in the form of [name witheld for reasons of reputation] with the message, "Do you want to go to the game tonight?"
"Me?" I asked and fell on my face. "I am but a humble servant. I have no money or talent that you should condescend to me with such a worthy calling ... Ok, I'll go."

The game was awesome though not really as frenzied as I expected. The crowd was definitely into it (lady in front of me stood up for every rebound) but it was a blowout and, as I had heard, the Mavs did tone down the presentation a little (less Humble Billy, no sign of Champ, generally less on-court craziness).

I was so thrilled to go though. It was the first championship game I've ever attended (assuming high school and intramural don't count) and it was awesome. Did I say that already? And I think it may be the last game of the year in Dallas. A sweep is not out of the question here. And I certainly think the Mavs can win 2 of 3 in Miami. And thus two championship streaks will continue for Big D:

1. A professional sports championship has never been won in Dallas.
Super Bowls were, of course, at neutral sites, and the Stars won the cup in Buffalo.

2. Dallas teams with stars on their uniforms win championships.
  • Cowboys have always had the star helmet and have won 5.
  • Stars were winning as soon as they came to Dallas.
  • Mavs started winning when Cuban bought the team and introduced new unis with a star on the back.
  • If the Rangers know what's good for them, they'll put a big star behind that "T" on their chests.

Also, for the record, I think the confetti after Games 1 and 2 was premature. We should probably save that for finals and league series wins.

No comments: