Saturday, June 10, 2006

Let's Talk Sweep

I know I'm waaay early in saying this but, the Mavs have got this thing in the bag if they want it. They're better. Just watching them you can see it. They are better players in a better system. I think if they keep their heads about them, this whole series could turn into a week-long parade.

Which brings me to the thing that Bob Sturm has been repeating over and over again the last few days: Miami = Finland. If the Mavs are the 1980 USA Hockey Team, then San Antonio is Russia and that means that Avery better ride his team hard these last few games just as Herb Brooks did the night his team won gold.

More than anything, I keep thinking not how good both of these teams are, but how they're both such a collection of spare parts. Rewind your basketball brain to the beginning of this season and tell me what you thought of the following players.
Udonis Haslem
Adrian Griffin
James Posey
Segana Diop
Jason Williams
Erick Dampier
Gary Payton
Jerry Stackhouse
Tell me you pegged those guys to be in the Finals. Sure, Dirk and Shaq are (although there's been plenty of debate about Dirk until he silenced the critics this season). But the rest of these gusy do NOT seem like NBA Finals material to me. Again, I think it's the coaches. Both of them.

A few other notes:
  • I love watching Shaq shoot free throws. Did you know he tied his own playoff record in Game 1 for most free throws attempted in a game without a make? Wonderful.
  • Remember when we traded for Jason Terry? Am I wrong or was that trade Terry for Antoine Walker. Man, I wish we had that one back. Pump up the volume, Twan! You're a shooter...keep believing!

No comments: